Friday, August 12, 2011

That Time of Year

Where indeed does the time go? I know that is cliche but it seems, somewhat, appropriate at this moment. As much as we struggle, time just seems to slip between our fingers, eluding or escaping our grasp. It's getting to be that time of year already. The time of year when it is getting dark a little earlier than in its ever so brief, extended breadth, we seem to have gotten used to. The time is now such that you return home from the evening's ride in the waning light. Last night was the first time this year that I'd really noticed it.

After finishing up my first venture back to the CRW Thursday night Hanscom ride, I hung out after and chatted with buddy Gary J. at the parking lot. I peeled off to make the 5 mile ride home from there at about 7:45PM and it was really starting to get dark. By the time I got home I could barely see, albeit I did still have my sunglasses on to protect from bug strikes.

After sunset last night the temperature also dropped markedly. Now that the air is much drier than in recent weeks, the air temperature drop when we lose the sun results in a crisp clean and cool air. Passing through a couple of hollows while turning a nice relaxing pace, I found myself wanting for my arm warmers. It was a welcome change from the recent, tropical weather we have had.

Last night we opened all of the windows in the house up and also slept with a fan in the window. It was down right chilly even with all of the blankets and a down comforter on the bed. I love that feeling. I'm one of those people that likes to sleep in the cold. The A/C just doesn't get it cold and crisp enough and the air gets stuffy. Last night was perfect sleeping weather.

We live in New England so we all know what is just around the corner; change. That is why many of us choose to live here, the underlying promise of familiar and welcomed change. As summer winds down we look very forward to visiting old friends, places and activities that we haven't seen in nearly a year. Once old activities will once again seem new again. It is this type of variety that keeps life interesting.

It's nice to have the 4 distinct chapters of our year consistently and neatly presented to us. Sure, some times the chapters can seem shorter or longer from year to year but they never fail to come, at least, not yet. Lets hope it stays that way.

No comments: