Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Shed Part VI

First wall done.
I'm actually not sure if this is really part six of the shed update, updates. I didn't have a catchy title though so it is now. Anyhow, making some progress it seems, if not a bit slowly. When last we dropped in on the project, I'd finished re-wiring the electrical and had been doing some insulation.

Insulation is horrible, especially in the summer. You really need to wear long sleeves, gloves, a dust mask and glasses so it is hot and still ends up being itchy. Despite the mask, which in all fairness I didn't use the first day, I still filled my lungs with fiberglass dust, which is a sweet irritant. They haven't been right since. Either that or the harsh engine degreaser I used to clean the used refrigerator I got.

With the electrical and insulation completed the next step was to finish the interior walls off. I'd toyed with a number of different options and had planned to go with a 7/16" textured exterior siding that came in 4x8' sheets. After really thinking it out and doing the math, I decided that for literally a few cents more per square foot I could do 10" wide tongue and groove pine boards. If I ran them horizontally, across the studs the spacing of the framing, which wasn't all exactly 16" on center in spots, would be a moot point. It would also resemble the interior of a log cabin, which is a neat and appropriate look. Also, the pine could be purchased in single, nearly perfect lengths to avoid splicing in many sections.

Done with the T&G.
Are there you have it. So started the project with the first batch of 10' length pine. The initial wall, which had but one window to contend with, went up really easily. That was good as I didn't have my finish nailer with me so had to finish nail through the tongues by hand, setting the heads with a nail set. Not rocket science but also not really quick. I made my way through the lower part of the two end walls this way before I had to leave the project for another day.

Jumping back in last week I came prepared with my finish nailer, ready to tacking the longer 14' sides. The tool proved invaluable and the pine literally flew onto the walls, despite having to deal with some irregularities. With natural wood product you often, or rather almost always, have some warping. This depends on the quality of course. I got my material from Western Maine Supply in Bethel, the local lumber yard. Their quality is excellent and they source primarily from local Maine mills. Compare their stuff to what you get at Home Depot and the difference is literally amazing. Of course, anyone can build nice stuff with good wood but I'll take it any day over the junk you get at the big box stores.

The vaulted entry section.
As I started to say though, I did have a couple of warped boards that I had to deal with. This required some creativity. Normally with a long plank you can hand wedge it with a pry-bar like a chisel or screwdriver, bending it into place so you can nail it. However, for more stubborn bends on wider plank it isn't always that easy to pry with one hand and nail with the other. That is where the van's jack came into play. I made a block out of a scrap of tongue to sit on the groove of the board I was setting and lagged a scrap of 4x4 to the stud just above the bend and slid the jack in between. Apply ample pressure pressure and force it all into place, then nail it shut. Worked great as always. I've used the same technique laying hardwood flooring as well.

And there was light.
The walls were done and then came the ceiling. On paper it should be the easiest as it was all straight shot with nothing to cut around. Just nailing 10' long 1x10" board in place, overhead, by yourself, with one hand while holding the nailgun with the other. Yes indeed, nice and easy. Nailer between the knees, one hand holding the board the other pounding the groove over the tongue and then shuffle down the line getting the whole thing together so it can be nailed. It all went in though and I only needed to pull the jack out once to correct a gap.

Last step was the vaulted end. This involved lots of angled cuts for the gable ends and then lots of short pieces for the inside of the rafters. It also meant lots of trips up the ladder, juggling boards and nailgun along with hammer and set block to get everything in place. Still, it went pretty well and I made good time.

Detail of the lighting.
I was easily able to get it all covered in the course of a couple of short days, which left time for the lawn and a couple minor projects. The last thing I wanted to take care of was the indirect lighting idea I'd had for the vaulted section. I planned to wrap a recessed shelf around the lower rim into which I would back-set rope lights. I'd wired a switched outlet in for that very reason. The shelf would simply be 1x4" pine with a smaller block of 1-1/2" x 5/4" pine behind it, to set it out from the wall and create the shelf into which the lightis would set, hidden from view. Although it took some head scratching and didn't end up exactly the way I'd planned, it still came out pretty nice. Can't wait to see what it looks like at night.

So now I only have a few aspects of the project left. Next up is flooring, which will be cheap floating faux-wood laminate. I've had really good luck with the stuff in the past so am going to use it again. Then comes the trim, door casing first, then baseboard, then corners and window casings. Throw on some sealer and then I just need to decorate and fill it with junk.

1 comment:

Hill Junkie said...

Nice work. I don't think I would every hold a nailer between my knees though!