When coupled with fixed length copper sweat to compression supply lines to feed the new faucet which are just a little bit too long, an easy job turns into a bigger job. A job that required fire in tight spaces.It all worked out though and combined with the repaint of the room to the same vibrant purple that our spare bath is in MA and a new vanity light, it all came together nicely. Now for a new bathroom floor.
Another aesthetic issue that has plagued us for some time is the chimney, which runs inside as a sort of show piece up through the center of the cathedral ceiling. The finish on the concrete block chimney is a simple concrete skim-coat over a fiber mesh. In short, it is pretty darn ugly. Or shall I say, it was ugly. In looking for paint to paint it recently, I found a concrete floor stain that came in multiple shades. Thinking that stain is often easier to deal with than pain and would possibly, look more natural, I opted for a gallon.
|Before in stark natural concrete.|
Probably the longest standing project has been a laundry. We've never had one in ME, until now. This winter I decided to check it off which given how much time we have spent there, has been critical. The addition of a laundry posed a number of challenges though. Initially, I though we would just put it in the basement. However, our basement is, odd. Long story short, the house sits on a foundation from the round silo house that predated the current dwelling, but burned. The foundation being round, is not under the entire house, there is crawl space under the remainder with the house cantilevered over it, suspended by piers. The access to the basement is less a stairway and more a ladder. Getting laundry up and down that was not practical.
|After staining in warm terracotta.|
I chose to plumb the hot and cold water feeds with pex plastic tubing and copper crimp rings. This meant buying some tooling but once I had the tool, I was good to go from them on. It was quick and fairly easy to do once I had the copper take off plumbed in with ball valves for shutoff and the female copper to male pex adapted sweated on. Of course, i messed the color coded tubing up and plumbed cold to red and hot to blue because I wasn't thinking. I went back and fixed that though. To cover the mess, I built a nice pine baseboard cover that is open on the inside to allow air flow between the warm basement and heated mud-room through the insulated (with 2" of seam sealed foil backed foam) and attaches to the wall via an overlapping interlocking L bracket I ripped from some wood.
After looking for issues with the trap, checking pitch, looking for frozen blockage in the short run through the crawl space and pulling the line apart, all to no avail I was at a loss. I finally just puckered up and tried to blow through the line from the top while Cathy was at the other, now open end, in the basement. The hot air uncorked the problem, a wadded mess of wet insulation, and then the pipe flowed fine. Didn't think to check for a mouse nest in the pipe I'd used, which had been sitting in the basement for years. Small amounts of water were able to trickle through but the huge volume of the washer draining corked it up tight and backed it to overflow. We tied the drain back together and that was that.
|Fresh, slean and green.|
|The small desk moved to the right.|
|The bar with 4 stools slightly lowered.|
|Simple doorway to the crawlspace.|
|Cold out there.|
|Pretty straight forward.|
So, I still have a ton of projects left but I am making some progress. Once spring rolls around I will finally be able to start the huge work I have planned for the camp in VT. That is another epic story though. I look forward to those battles, though I must admit, the thought does occasionally keep me up at night.