Monday, April 29, 2013

What's for Dinner

Picked up a rack of pork spare ribs this morning at the grocery store. We haven't been buying them very often lately but instead we've been getting individually sliced country ribs. The latter are typically rubbed and cooked on the grill sauced. The former however, work best on the smoker.

Mid day I rubbed the rack with a traditional blend of spice and brown sugar and let them sweat in the fridge for a couple of hours. At the same time I cut up some maple and apple into small pieces, threw them into a bucket and added water so they would soak. At about 2PM I cranked the smoker up, loaded the wood and then put the ribs in for the afternoon. With a couple hours to go I threw some sauce on so it could candy a bit to the good bark that I had going already.

2hrs sweating in the rub, 5hrs in the smoker and viola
Just before 7PM I pulled them out, let them rest a bit and then we ate. Very good stuff, nothing terribly fancy, but well worth the effort.

No comments: